Saturday, December 26, 2009

Happy Holidays from Arse505

Happy Holidays, Goonies

Big match tomorrow, eh? The last big test before the end of the year. Fortunately, Arsenal are at home but it won't be an easy go. An in-form Villa visits the Emirates with a collection of high-profile scalps, most impressive is the early goal at Old Trafford that they were successful in holding onto for the win. Worth mentioning is their win versus Chelsea, but as I have mentioned in an earlier blog (12/2/09) the score and the manner which those fuckers beat Arsenal is not representative of the actual quality of the teams. In four manic minutes, Arsenal dropped points. And since all of the teams are closer than ever...

Arsenal have now lost two matches versus top-4 teams, and with some luck for Arsenal on those 2 fixtures we could be sitting top of the table. Alas, it wasn't to be and we are within striking distance (again).

Today, both Spuds and Chavs helped us out by dropping 2 pts each so now it's up to the Arsenal to get three, at home, and take advantage of the other teams' misfortunes. With some hope IOU will also drop pts Away to Hull. And, if possible, I hope Jozy gets a run out and can do them in...Do it, Do it for America.

So, the Arsenal line-up is gonna be weaker than we would prefer but strong enough to get a result. Arshavin lining up against Dunne and Cuellar is actually a good match-up as I think Arshavin can get behind Cuellar. Arshavin is my Fantasy League captain, too. Also, Cuellar has been recently unsettled as rumors are flying about a possible move to Real Madrid. Perfect timing. And, of course, we may see Eduardo up front later in the match so let's pray that Arshavin works hard and wears down these two Center Backs.

The rest of the two teams match up quite well. I have my concerns about Milner, Young, and even Petrov. But I do think that Song can contain Petrov, and Denilson can get in on Ashley Young. And Downing? Who knows? He shoots so much but he never gets on target. I really hope that he doesn't show up tomorrow. For Arsenal, I'm hoping that Cesc is fit and that Diaby holds onto the ball...if these two can hook up with Arshavin we have a fighting chance of getting 3 pts; if they cannot I think the best we can hope for is a draw. Oh, and I think we'll have Traore back instead of Silvestre. Traore's pace will at least be able to match up with Agbonglahor and Young, which gives us a big boost holding a clean sheet.

I look at our bench and I don't see any impact players that could come in and affect the match. At best I think Ramsey could come in for a tired Denilson, Diaby or start for Cesc if he is not ready. Other than Ramsey, we can't possibly hope that Vela will do anything except go left; Wilshere will keep the bench nice and toasty; the rest of the mix mash is there just in case there is a pre-game illness and the starters fall ill and we need players to just be in the team.

So, at the end of the day, we have the same issues as before. No fit out-and-out center striker, an inconsistent midfielder in Diaby, and loads of midfielder players who may or may not shoot. I think if the team can get a goal early, and get Villa on the back foot chasing the match we can get another goal and seal a convincing victory. Now, if Villa score first and we cannot answer immediately I feel the best we can do is a draw. I never know what we are going to get because Almunia is so hot, so cold and gives me no confidence. So, for all of us let's hope he shows up and the back four do their job...

It's an early kick-off here in America so I'll have coffee in hand, but I feel if we start with some urgency we can get the 3 pts and put more pressure on the pack. If we cannot, it's another missed opportunity, but at Home, which is unacceptable.

Enjoy the match, and Up the Arsenal
ArsenaLOS

1 comment:

  1. Great blog Los! worried about Almunia but we should sneak a 1-0 win.

    ReplyDelete