Friday, October 30, 2009

Arsenal-Spuds Derby: The One That Counts

Good day,

Got quite the tasty treat of a derby tomorrow! I am excited as I think the Arsenal are in prime position to send a message to the league and our closest competitors. Fortunately, and after some lackluster displays and equally frustrating results the Arsenal is at home playing against a seemingly wounded and injury-laden opponent.

I would feel much more comfortable if Rosicky and Walcott were available. Either from the start or late in the match either can turn a match on its head. I've always felt that Spuds were slow moving so not having TW14 is a bit of a let down. But as we all know and I'm happy to report, Nasri is back from his broken leg and could be used late in the match to much of the same affect.

Tottenham is without Modric, Lennon, and Defoe. Three potent attacking players are out so, in comparison, I won't complain too much. I had asked via Twitter if there is any player for Spurs that could create in an instant, or take the game by storm and get a goal. Of the available, Keane is the only player I can think of that, if given time, can finish consistently. I do have some concerns with Crouch's height but his effectiveness is dependent on the service. I am not sure if Bentley will find himself in the squad since Lennon is out but this combination could pose a problem. Unlike last season's home 4-4 draw we have a new CB TV5 who can challenge the crosses far more effective than Toure. If pressured, either by Diaby, Song or Eboue Crouch's influence can be neutralized.

The late draw at home left a bitter taste in my mouth because the goals conceded came from some ridiculous fortune. I feel that if Diaby and Song can boss the midfield, and really pressure the Spuds' midfield the goals scored then will not be scored tomorrow. I think Arsenal have enough steel in the middle with Song, and enough cutting down of space with Diaby's long legs to really cut the distribution up front.

I am confident that Arsene Wenger will exploit the fragility of the Spuds back line. I am fairly certain that Woodgate will start, since Redknapp has no others to choose from. An out-of-form CB is a striker's feast! I hope to see RVP line up with Arshavin, and Eduardo get the start. I think Bendtner would be best used coming on late in the match when legs have been tired, and he could get some service from a subbed-in Nasri. In contrast, Bendtner could start to muscle the back and then Dudu could come on late to take advantage of the battered Spuds. Either option is very potent and dangerous, and as I write this I realize that for once in some great time we have some very different options.

In closing, tomorrow's contest is a derby and anything can happen. Fortunately, Tottenham is missing three very influential players and Arsenal really should exploit their misfortune. I feel there will be enough quality in the squad for the Arsenal to get 3 pts and the goals could come from any place. My hope is that Song is involved in either another quality assist to RVP, or he battles through and gets a goal himself. Sometimes I just get the feeling that a player is due, and I feel tomorrow could be his day. The distribution up to our attacking trio will be crucial to the goals scored so if Cesc and Diaby can get passes off and completed I feel the three will take care of the rest. I'm not a betting man but I feel there is enough, and the time is right for the Arsenal to put in a complete performance. Goal early to Arshavin; Song mid-to-late 1st half, or early 2nd; RVP to kill it off with his chocolate leg, 3-nil to the Arsenal.

ArsenaLOS

No comments:

Post a Comment