Wednesday, May 27, 2009

CL Final Rome

Hmm, so what will the line-ups look like today in Rome? Unfortunately, Barca really are in dire straights when you look at their make-shift back four. As ESPN reports, "Central defenders Rafa Marquez and Gabriel Milito are out injured while backs Eric Abidal and Dani Alves are both suspended". It's really unfortunate that the latter two were sent off for the most marginal of challenges. If you saw the Semi then you know that Anelka dove and got Abidal sent off while Cashley Cole fell awfully easy to have Alves get his second booking. Losing Alves may be a blessing in disguise as he goes forward and is so often caught out on the break; counter-attacking United would likely have exploited that, stretched the defense, and maybe finished with some dangerous balls across the goal. One thing is for certain is that United is fully loaded and Rio was never really injured and has declared himself fit. Really? wow. I didn't see that coming. Is it just me or does this Machine seem to never have any sort of hiccup in it's squad? I can't even remember when they had a major injury except to their center backs...maybe 2-3weeks here and there but nothing major. Must be nice. Anyway, we are gonna see a fully fit, full strength United versus a 2/3 fit Barca. Hopefully, Barca will attack and try to score as many goals as possible knowing they will concede; fortunately, it's one game, do or die.

I am assuming Barca will start Eto'o and Messi but will Henry line up? Ineista? I can't imagine Pep not starting them but if there is any doubt in his mind that they will be a hinderance, they'll sit. Now, I think we may see Messi in a roaming mode as Evra will not be easy to dissect on the wing. Evra is a bit of a hot head, too. Let's not be surprised if this cheating Manc gets booked early, and Messi exploits him. On the other hand, Evra may kick Messi out of the match. I really hope Messi gets him anxious, nervous early and gets that yellow on him...Eto'o is a curious character isn't he? He reminds me of Ibrahimovich - always disappearing in the biggest matches. If he can keep the CBs on the back foot and cause some confusion things will open up. But let's be honest here, United is going to crunch the 18 yd box and cut down space. At most we can hope for him squeaking through and winning a penalty. I don't think he'll be a difference maker today.

As much as I was saddened that Henry pledged his allegiance to Arsenal a la Donkeybayor and then fucked off to Barca...I still kinda want him to net the winner. It won't make up for 2006 but it doesn't hurt. I think deep down all Gooners are thinking the same thing...you served the club, now vanquish United. Destroy. United.

I think we'll see either an attacking display of PS3 FIFA-like football or a snooze fest because United won't attack except on the counter. United will have trouble getting the ball off of Barca so I am hoping that when they do they pass the ball away and Barca can counter right back at them. I think we'll see an early goal for the Catalan giants because I am just certain they will play to attack. In the end, I am going with a juicy 2-0 win for Barca. An early Messi goal with maybe the second in the late second half. Could be Henry, Iniesta or Hleb? haha, right. C'mon Barca; I still loathe you from 2006 but any team versus United is my team on the day!

ArsenaLOS

No comments:

Post a Comment